- Helps to cover the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
- Great antioxidant action that neutralizes free radicals and helps reduce oxidative damage
- Helps maintain proper immune system function
- Helps protect connective tissues
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C 500mg by HSN Essentials is a food supplement that provides the organism with an extra dose of Vitamin C. It is one of the most secure and efficient nutrients that we can purchase.
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, belongs to the group of hydrosoluble vitamins, along with the vitamin B complex.
What are the properties of Vitamin C?
Vitamin C plays an essential role in the transportation of fats in the cells as well as the metabolism of cholesterol (prevention of calculi). It reinforces the immune system and helps the body to avoid viral infections, bacterial infections and toxicity. (1)
Another of the noteworthy functions of Vitamin C is its role in the Iron status in the body, as ascorbic acid boosts the absorption of this mineral, essential for the correct oxygenation of the tissues, as well as mitigating any possible cases of anaemia. (2)
It reduces the hardening process of arteries, which avoids the formation of clots in arteries and veins, heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. (3)
Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that also protects vitamins A and vitamins E against oxidation, and also some components of the B complex (thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and pantothenic acid). This protection is against free radicals, that cause a oxidative damage at a cellular level, involving practically any tissue from our body. (4)
Vitamin C intervenes in the formation of collagen, and therefore its consumption is indispensable for the optimal growth and maintenance of bones, teeth, gums, joints, ligaments, tendons and blood vessels, as well as to help repair fractures and heal wounds. Collagen is an essential component of the connective tissue, that plays a key role in healing wounds. (5)
Although Vitamin c has been for a long time a natural remedy for the common cold, research shows that for most people, vitamin C supplements do not reduce the risk of catching a common cold. However, people who take Vitamin C supplements regularly could have shorter colds or with milder symptoms. (6)
Causes of a Vitamin C deficiency
Despite meeting the minimum requirements of this vitamin may be quite viable, it should be noted that under certain conditions, deficiency may develop due to: inadequate food storage and preparation, gastrointestinal disorders, stress and intense exercise, infections, smoking, diabetes, pregnancy and lactation.
Who can take Vitamin C 500mg?
- Anyone looking to ensure the recommended daily dose of Vitamin C
1. Holmannová D, Kolácková M, Krejsek J. [Vitamin C and its physiological role with respect to the components of the immune system]. Vnitr Lek. 2012 Oct;58(10):743-9.
2. Lane DJ, Richardson DR. The active role of vitamin C in mammalian iron metabolism: much more than just enhanced iron absorption! Free Radic Biol Med. 2014 Oct;75:69-83. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2014.07.007. Epub 2014 Jul 15.
3. Zhang PY, Xu X, Li XC. Cardiovascular diseases: oxidative damage and antioxidant protection. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2014 Oct;18(20):3091-6.
4. Ellulu MS. Obesity, cardiovascular disease, and role of vitamin C on inflammation: a review of facts and underlying mechanisms. Inflammopharmacology. 2017 Jun;25(3):313-328. doi: 10.1007/s10787-017-0314-7. Epub 2017 Feb 6.
5. Moores J. Vitamin C: a wound healing perspective. Br J Community Nurs. 2013 Dec;Suppl:S6, S8-11.
6. Hemilä H. Vitamin C and common cold-induced asthma: a systematic review and statistical analysis. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2013 Nov 26;9(1):46. doi: 10.1186/1710-1492-9-46.