- 500mg of Tryptophan per capsule
- Essential amino acid
- Vegetarian formula
- Vegetable capsules
- Take 1-2 capsules a day
What is L-Tryptophan?
L-Triptophan by HSN Essentials is a nutritional supplement made from the essential amino acid L-Triptophan. This amino acid is essential for the human organism, therefore it can not be produced by itself, thus it must be administrated via diet or supplementation.
Benefits of L-Tryptophan
Triptophan has the ability to cross the hematoencephalic barrier, which is the one that filters substances that can enter the blood stream.
Due to this, one of the main missions of tryptophan is that of being a precursor of the neurotransmitter serotonin. It is known that maintaining low levels of serotonin can negatively affect (1):
- Memory and concentration
- Relaxation and rest
L-Tryptophan and Serotonin
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that promotes a range of subjective sensations and perceptions, such as safety, relaxation, and trust. A deficit in this hormone can lead to a state of sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression, and even predisposition to eat in abundance and generate overweight (sweet food cravings). (2)
Serotonin levels tend to decrease with age, which is related to sleep problems and a negative mood. By this fact, a desire of people of advanced age could be to recover approximately the levels of serotonin that they had when they were younger. (3)
The amino acid tryptophan is necessary for the synthesis of serotonin in the brain, and that is why we must take care of our nutrition. The problem may lie in our food supply, or the diet itself, where this substance tends to be the least abundant. It's estimated that amounts of 1 to 1.5g of tryptophan are ingested from the diet.
Among the possible methods to increase the production of serotonin, the supply of a sufficient amount of tryptophan through our diet is one of these methods, for this reason, it is highly recommended to resort to the route of supplementation.
Who can benefit from L-Tryptophan?
- Anyone seeking to benefit from the properties that this nutritional supplement offers
1. Zeng Y, Yang J, Du J, Pu X, Yang X, Yang S, Yang T. Strategies of Functional Foods Promote Sleep in Human Being. Curr Signal Transduct Ther. 2014 Dec;9(3):148-155.
2. Lv J, Liu F. The Role of Serotonin beyond the Central Nervous System during Embryogenesis. Front Cell Neurosci. 2017 Mar 13;11:74. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2017.00074. eCollection 2017.
3. Yurcheshen M, Seehuus M, Pigeon W. Updates on Nutraceutical Sleep Therapeutics and Investigational Research. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:105256. doi: 10.1155/2015/105256. Epub 2015 Jul 21.